Friday, April 04, 2008

HOME

It was nice to go home to New Orleans last week. But, it was even nicer returning back to my new home here in Crystal Springs.

My former boss asked me to help with some important work. So, I arrived last Thursday. I knew that we would be working through the weekend and I thought that I would be returning on Monday. Well, we did indeed work through the weekend. We worked hard each day until about 9:00 pm each night. However, I ended up staying through Wednesday because there simply was so much to do. Because everything was lost in Katrina, everything is done over from scratch. Everything!

My boss has not replaced me. She has not hired anyone for the position. A couple of people have told me that she is not satisfied with anyone she interviews, and that she’s looking for another “Carla”. That’s flattering, but she really needs to hire someone so that they can move forward. She wants me to return, but I told her that we are not coming back. We have new lives now, and I just cannot see myself living in New Orleans again. I miss home very much, but life has truly changed for me and I know that I am in a place (both logistically and spiritually) where God wants me to be. I have never been as sure about anything as I am about this. I know where I am, and I know why I’m here. I know God’s purpose for me and what He has for me to do.

They didn’t want to let me go, and my boss kept telling me how much she misses me. She was thankful that I did come to help and she knows that I will never hesitate to do whatever I can for her. We had/have an incredible rapport and connection, and after working with her for 18 years, we are more like family than anything. And I know that is what she desires to obtain in whomever she does eventually hire. Of course, she’s already asked me to come back and train whomever the person is. I will also assist with other projects to come.

I like it like this. Working on a contractual / consultant basis – when I want to – with/for them.

I did take the time to go to my church service and Sunday School while in New Orleans. The church has rebuilt, which is wonderful.

One thing I miss very much from home is the FOOD! I have yet to find anything remotely as good as New Orleans cuisine here in Mississippi, or anywhere else, for that matter. On Saturday, I had a scrumptious Fried Shrimp platter. Oh my……..it was sooooooo good! I even took a picture of it with my cell phone! They (the folks in the office) laughed at me, but I told them that I don’t know when I’ll see another such beautiful and tasty treat. They don’t know how to prepare such meals here. I have done so myself at home, but there is still a difference because the seafood isn’t FRESH as it is from New Orleans. I have fried shrimp, and even purchased shrimp here for my Gumbo……..but it still isn’t as good because the seafood is IMPORTED!!!! I was it total shock the first time I went to buy seafood. I asked the lady where did their shrimp come from. First she was surprised that I asked such a question, and then she said that she didn’t know. I asked for the Manager. She informed me that the shrimp came from Equador (I can’t even spell it!). Honey,it makes a difference!

I also got my favorite Chinese food from my favorite spot on Franklin and North Claiborne avenues. Nobody does Chinese cuisine like New Orleans Asians!
I went to Winn Dixie one night and looked for Br’er Rabbit syrup, but they didn’t have any. But, I did find Hubig Pies and purchased about 10 of them to bring home. I’m freezing them! Hubig’s is only in New Orleans and they don’t sell those here (these are pies such as Hostess little apple pies – but of course they are 100% better).

I didn’t have time to stock up on other things, such as “pickled” meat (a seasoning meat we use for Red Beans, smothered cabbage, and other meals), Big Shot drinks, etc. But I will do so next time.

One thing I’d forgotten about that is naturally New Orleans is the HUMIDITY!!!! Wow, as soon as I arrived in town……….just past the airport………..it hit me! Gosh darn, it was HOT! Well, it’s hot here in Mississippi too, so it’s not like I don’t know heat. But, it’s a different kind of heat in New Orleans. It’s HUMID! How soon we forget. Lord have mercy……..it slapped me, gripped me, and drained me as soon as I got there. It’s funny how you get used to it when you live there. I mean, I hardly noticed it while living there. It’s a dry heat here in MS. But you know what? My body has noticed the difference in the climate. My skin is much drier (I now have to use moisturizer for my face and everywhere really……….NEVER had to do that before!). My hair’s texture has changed dramatically. I hate it! So, I guess the humidity served a great purpose for me.

I spent an entire week away from what has become my new home. This is the longest stretch of time I’ve been away from my family since Katrina. I’ve traveled since then, but they’ve been short trips. Being away this time made me appreciate my new life, and definitely my family, even more. It is true that I do miss my New Orleans and the life that we had there. But, what I’ve come to realize is that my life has taken on a new direction. I will never have what blew away in Katrina again, and I have come to accept that that really isn’t a bad thing. Today, I can’t see myself “going back”. I wouldn’t “fit” anymore. I’ve grown and moved ahead. Yet, everything that my life was back then was preparation for where God has placed me (logistically and spiritually) today.

While there, I missed my new little life. I missed my new routine. I missed the

quietness and vastness of my surroundings here in the “country”. I missed the beauty and quaintness of my new house (I absolutely love my house). It’s our new home. I missed my child and my husband (although we talked every single day). I missed the niche that has been etched for me.

What I’ve come to recognize more than anything is that “home” is not necessarily a location. But, it is a state of mind and the stability and love of family. Home is where your heart is.

I am so glad to be home!

Carla

No comments: