Monday, April 21, 2008

REMEMBER YOUR ADMINISTRATIVE PROFESSIONAL

You may call them secretary, clerk, receptionist, typist, office manager, administrative assistant........etc., etc., etc.

There are so many different "titles" as well as different levels due to responsibility in the office, but regardless of the label, it is a fact that those women and men who provide administrative support are the backbone of success in the workplace.

Everyone relies on them. Couldn't function without them. Yet, too often, the administrative professionals are not supported as much as they should be. Not to say that they aren't appreciated, because they are. It's just that they bring such a stability and calmness to those who depend on them, that it's sort of like a marriage. A relationship. And unfortunately, we don't say "thank you" enough. We just expect you to be there.....to be our partner.

I ask that any of you reading who are benefited by the work of administrative support staff not to forget to say "thank you" or to recognize them on Wednesday, April 23, 2008, which is National Administrative Professionals Day.

I've worked in the clerical field for 20 years. This is the first year that I am not somebody's "admin". However, I have been blessed during the course of my 20 years of service to have grown and learned and to reach a place where I was "responsible" for other admin staff. I was trusted, expected, and commissioned to conduct trainings. Additionally, being me, I developed what I called a "support network" whereas I mentored, supported, encouraged, and assisted the admin staff on a professional and personal level. In my association with them, I always stressed the importance of taking pride in one's job and to provide the best and highest quality of work that was possible. We established an understanding. One term I never wanted to hear from them was that they were "just a secretary" (or a clerk, or the receptionist, or whatever the position). I encouraged the highest professionalism (at all times), and an attitude that there was value in the work that we provided. They really had to understand that they were in partnership with their boss(es).

So, to you who employ administrative professionals, and/or those who benefit from the work of admin staff, please let them know how much they're appreciated. Not solely on Wednesday, but as often as you can acknowledge them (what's wrong with saying "thank you" every now and then?).

Blessings!

Carla

No comments: