Saturday, June 14, 2008

I'M NOT JUST ANYBODY!

To hear my voice blog of this posting, click the play arrow on the media player below:


Comment | Copy This




I haven’t blogged for a week or so. I’ve been quite busy with getting some things in order in my life. But, not writing, hurts. I read somewhere recently, an excellent statement regarding writers. I can’t remember where I read it, but it was from a man who said that it is more painful for a writer not to write than it is trying to find something to write about.

No truer words.

A writer never needs to find something to write about, as a writer simply is….and does. All he or she has to do is look around them and material awaits them.

As much as I speak and teach about purpose to others, and as I encourage them to do and be what they are destined to do, I still find myself growing into my own identity. I know my purpose, but it seems that God shows it to me consistently. He underscores who and what I am in many ways. I am sure that He’s not doing this to prove to Himself any of this, but He does so to show me. This reminds me of a devotional I read this week about the “tests” that come in our lives. God allows testing to come. In fact, He may write and produce the test Himself, yet He doesn’t do so for Himself. He knows what we’re made of and what’s inside of us. He knows because He placed it there. But, we don’t always know and we have to go through tests so that we not only know who we are, but most importantly, who HE is! It is through our tests that we become like tea bags. Stronger when we’re placed in hot water!

This identity thing has been tapping in my heart over the last few weeks. I’m seeing where in today’s high tech and money-driven world where many people are doing things and affixing titles to themselves that will allow them to make the most money. Trust me, I’m not against money, as we all need it. But, I have a problem when people do things just for the money. Actually, more power to them if they can, but it doesn’t please me when they suddenly become, let’s say a writer for example, because to have a book to sell means money (in their minds) and will move their products. To me, that tears the integrity of what a writer is. True, in this day and age, ANYBODY……..absolutely anybody can publish a book, call themselves an author, and promote themselves as such. Yet, there is no heart in their work. It’s only words on paper for one purpose…….to make money. Again, I am not against anyone making an income. Do so, but do so sincerely. The success of a writer is not the number of books they’ve moved, or the amount of dollars they’ve made in sells. One level of success as a writer is determined by the amount of lives you’ve positively impacted, touched, and enriched, because of your gift.

Years ago, I attended a seminar and workshop at Southern University at New Orleans with guest speaker author Terry McMillan. This was before Stella Got Her Groove, yet after Disappearing Acts and Waiting to Exhale. She said a lot, but the one thing that remained with me was her encouragement to writers. She said that a true writer writes not from the motivation of money, but for the sheer love of doing so. They write because they cannot NOT write. They write because they have to write.
Many writers (myself included) never even share all that they write because it’s such an intimate part of them, they aren’t always willing or ready to share that with anyone. Therefore, they’re not writing to sell it to someone. They’re writing because a writer is who they are.

I feel bad that I haven’t blogged all week, but God has still allowed me and used me to write for His honor and glory. What I’ve written has caused me to study deeply, pray, and to be a mouthpiece for Him. This is what walking in my purpose is all about because it not only allowed me to empower, teach, and bless others, it has also helped me to become a better and stronger person.

Whatever a person’s purpose is, they know it. They cannot help themselves. They have to function in their capability. It may not be writing for you, but I will say this, whatever you do, remember this: “Write (or fill in the blank for you) even if you’ll never get paid for it.” Greater than money is the satisfaction of knowing that you are doing what you were born to do.

(NOTE THAT MY VOICE BLOG HAS ADDITIONAL CONTENT. YOU WILL HEAR MORE FROM THE VOICE BLOG - http://www.snapvine.com/carlanix)

No comments: