Monday, June 16, 2008

Our Father...

It's been a wonderful day. My girls and I made this a very nice and special Father's Day for my husband. Nothing big, just really sentimental and nice. Also, as Director of the Marriage Ministry at church, I was able to make a quick presentation in speech and with gifts for all of our fathers and grandfathers in the service. It turned out really sweet.

I thought about something today, as I looked at the children of our church. And even reflected on the many single moms and even the widows. I know for myself, I have taken for granted that it has never been awkward for me as far as Father's Day. I was raised by both of my parents, and I know for a fact that I was a daddy's girl. Being the only girl, I really was treated like a princess. Not that we were rich or anything, but I was daddy's girl.

Daddy died when I was 19. But, I was married at 21, and three years later, we had our first child. So, all of my life, I've been celebrating Father's Day.

Again, I realize that not everyone can say that. My heart goes out to all of the children who don't even know who their fathers are, or for those whose fathers are absent from the home, and for the many women who have men in their lives who are simply their "baby's daddy". I pray for those men who have not stepped up and proved to be more than mere sperm donors. Being male doesn't make one a father. It just shows that they can make a baby. But, it takes a real and special man to be a true father to their children.....regardless of the circumstances that surround them.

So, my thoughts are with the moms, and the children (even grown children) who feel abandoned or left out in regards to Father's Day.

I leave this from the Word of God to comfort you and to remind you that He is your all and all:

God is "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling." Psalm 68:5

Know that for all of us, He is everything that we need. We don't always choose what we will experience in life, but whatever it is, whatever lacks, God is the one who makes us whole.

Blessings!

Carla

No comments: