Sunday, January 28, 2007

BROKEN TREES







I had a wonderful weekend. I spent it with both of my brothers and family. We celebrated Michael's birthday with him and his family in Biloxi. Ira lives in San Leandro, CA, but he flew down south so that he could be a part of the celebration. You see, it was Michael's 50th birthday. A fine milestone worth celebrating.

Ira flew into the Jackson, MS airport and he spent Friday with me and my family. I was thrilled to have my brother here in my new house.

Ira and I drove to New Orleans on Saturday morning. This was his first time seeing the city after Katrina. He was last there a few months before the hurricane hit. Since New Orleans is our home, he really needed to see the condition with his own eyes.

The weather was terrible as we took the 2 1/2 hour drive. It rained relentlessly the entire drive. Cold and rainy, quite miserable!

Ira had to agree that seeing the city with his own eyes didn't compare to the images he's seen in pictures and on television. The Lower 9th Ward, our neighbor, is still in total disarray. It's a deserted area. There is no life. Not even cats and dogs were there. We did see, however, tour buses driving through, as well as other people whom we knew were not former residents of the area. Sight seers! It really got to me, truly ticked me off. Particulary the tour bus. I am sure that someone is profiting from the tours, and I just don't think that's right.

We made a couple of stops before we left New Orleans. We stopped by and visited my friend Corbie, who interestingly enough went to high school with me. We had a fantastic visit as she showed us the progression of the rebuilding of her home. It is simply gorgeous and I am so happy that things are coming together for her.

We then drove to Biloxi, MS. As we traveled on I-10, I saw an amazing sight. All along the highway were trees.........many trees. Trees that's been there for many years. But, they were broken! It was apparent that Hurricane Katrina blew through New Orleans and all down to the gulf coast (Biloxi and Gulfport, MS). Her fury was visible just by looking at those trees. I mean, we have all seen the pictures of the houses that were destroyed (our own being among them), and the images of the flooding, and all of the devastation of the people. Images of Katrina; they're probably etched in our minds. But, these trees stood out to me and its' image was profound!

I saw miles and miles of broken trees. They snapped from the middle and the brokenness was vibrant and loud! It was as though they were yelling at me. They begged to be noticed, to be seen. They spoke to me and shouted.....CARLA, WE ARE STILL STANDING!

Hurricane Katrina may have snapped them, broke them in half........yet, those bad boys were still standing! And then I heard, CARLA......YOU ARE STILL STANDING! The hurricane caused a snap in my life. She devastated a mighty blow. Slowed me down. Chopped some of me off. Shedded some of my branches. Shook me up and had me swaying in the wind. But, I AM STILL STANDING!

I then heard two songs in my mind. Bishop Paul Morten's song.....aptly titled, "I'm Still Standing", which is a mighty testimony of his tenacity after Katrina and other crucial events in his life. I also heard "Broken but Healed" by Byron Cage (I believe.......please correct me if I'm wrong).

We eventually made it to Biloxi to be with Michael. Now, Mike and his family are also survivors of Katrina. She came through and destroyed their home that August 29, 2005 fateful day. They had to flee as well and ended up in Columbia, MO (near St. Louis). They decided to return to Biloxi just a few months ago because Michael simply loves the beach. Biloxi and the entire gulf coast area is a beautiful place. I am so happy that they were able to find a new house and rebuild their lives as well. I was happy.......joyful......grateful.........and I praised God for blessing them so. As I enjoyed myself for Mike's birthday gathering and had a wonderful time with both of my brothers and Mike's family, I could not help but thank God for all that he's done for my family.

As we drove back to my home this afternoon, I again saw more broken trees. This time I praised God. I pray that my family and I will continue to stand tall and strong like those trees........and another song played in my heart and mind........"I shall not be moved. Just like a tree, planted by the water, I shall not be moved".

No comments: