Monday, January 22, 2007

Oh Well...

Oh well.........my New Orleans Saints fell short in the NFC championship match yesterday. I am really upset about that and my heart goes out to the players. The team did their best and they've come such a long way. It's taken 40 years, the team's entire history, to even get to this point. So, their performance this year has been exemplary and I am so proud of them.

I actually cried for them. My heart really ached. But, I hope that the players know that they have nothing to feel bad about. They are still our champions.

Today, I am wearing black and gold ("Saints Gold") just to honor them and to remember that hard work pays off.

On the other side of the coin is still something to celebrate and rejoice about. History was still made on Sunday. For the first time EVER in NFL history are two teams in the Super Bowl headed by African American coaches!!!! Yippee!!!

The commentators and other non-Black people were on the television stating that they don't see the "hype" in this. They don't understand why this is such a victory for the African American community. They just don't get the big deal.

Well, I guess we really can't expect them to understand. It's okay. As long as we know and we understand the significance of this. It shows that barriers have been broken and because of their diligent and hard work, these two coaches have paved the way for many.

The world may not understand that we have been unfairly treated forever, and now that we're finally afforded an equal opportunity (that's all we've asked for - the one thing that Dr. King died for - equality), we are doing more of the things that we are gifted to do. For the life of me, I do not understand why or how the NFL of old would not even allow an equal chance for Black men to serve in the position of coach. Not only head coach, but remember we weren't even quarterbacks!

And they don't understand....

Oh well!

Congratulations to OUR coaches!

No comments: