Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Me Of Today

"I only wish I had the me of today when I was the me of yesterday".
~Carla Young Nix


Okay.....y'all know that I love quotes that are profound and that make an impact on me. Now, as you can see, those words above are mine. I don't know how profound they are, but they did make an impact. I stated these words to someone as I explained to them a burning calling on me in the marriage ministry that God has blessed me to serve as Director. God showed me additional work He would like for me to do in that ministry.

It is my pleasure to answer this call because my heart is strongly in this ministry and with the people whom I serve. What God is having me to do is to be person for my sisters and brothers that I needed for me when I went through a very dark time in my own life and marriage.

You know the saying, "If I only knew back then what I know today". How many times do we feel this way? And this is good because it shows growth and development in our lives. However, what we know today is not solely for us. It is for us to reach back, turn around, look to the side.....whatever is necessary....to give to others. To be to others what they need to succeed.

Too many people have the mentality that they made it on their own, and as such, they are not responsible for helping anyone else to make it. That is so untrue! And if you think about it, you did not make it on your own. I know without a doubt that there is somebody who helped you along the way. Think about how much you appreciate that. So, why not be that to someone else? And why not be what you wished was available to you when you needed help?

You are a walking source of knowledge, skills, learned-lessons, wisdom, talent. Just remember that you should pass it on. Look how far you've come. Be to others what you needed to succeed.

I read something the other day that encouraged us to do something for someone every day that you are not paid to do. Do something for someone who cannot pay you back. Do something for others just because you can and because you have an earnest desire to simply make the way a little easier for them. Expecting nothing in return.

I leave you with words from Ghandi - "Be the change you want to see in the world."

No comments: