Wednesday, March 19, 2008

THE ROAD TO CALVARY - BETRAYAL AND DENIAL

TEXT: Matthew 26:20 - 25; 31-35

20When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21And while they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me."
22They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?"
23Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

25Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?"
Jesus answered, "Yes, it is you."

31Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
" 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' 32But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee."

33Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."

34 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."

35 But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.


On His way to the cross, Jesus was betrayed and denied......not by outsiders......but from His own inner circle. Therefore, we should not expect that we will never experience the same in our lives. However, I believe that what's most important here is not solely to bring comfort to us when we are betrayed and denied, but it is to help us keep in mind that we all have within us some Judas and Peter.

We too betray and deny our Lord and Savior by our actions, and inactions.

Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Obviously, he valued this more than salvation. He valued it more than a personal relationship with the Lord. He valued it more than the love that Jesus had for him.

Peter, who BOLDLY declared his love and devotion said that he would never "fall away". No matter, he said, if others did. Yet, when the pressure was on and he even feared for his life, he denied the Giver of life.

You know, it's quite easy for us to point our fingers at Judas and Peter. Granted, I am not condoning or justifying their actions. But, I can't personally be so quick to point out their faults when the same weakness lies within me.

I don't think that I would ever sell out for the sake of money, as Judas did. But, who am I to say what I, or anyone else, would or would not do when pushed up against the wall and facing dire straits. We really don't know WHY Judas was so willing to sell out. He obviously felt bad enough about it in the days to follow that he could not face living anymore. He reacted wrongly about his actions, but he had to have had some deep remorse regarding it. How unfortunate that he did not rest in knowing that the One he betrayed is also the One to forgive and restore.

We may say that we would never deny Jesus, or our faith. We may say that we're Christians, we're strong in our faith, no one can or will not shut us up or make us change who we are. That's great! Yet, when we do not live according to God's Word, treat others as we should, love as we should, represent the Lord by our actions, speech, and even thoughts; then we are denying Christ.

We deny Christ when we lack faith. We deny Him when we are disobedient. We deny Him edge Him out of our lives (EGO).

We can't fault Peter and Judas without first examining ourselves.

Isn't it wonderful, however, that we serve a loving and forgiving God!

Carla
Stay tuned for the rest of our lessons on The Road to Calvary! I pray that these have thus far been a blessing to you.

No comments: