Monday, March 10, 2008

SHOUT!

“And the Lord said to Joshua, “See, I have given Jericho into your hand, with its king and mighty men of valor.
Seven priests shall bear seven trumpets of rams’ horns before the ark. On the seventh day you shall march around the city seven times, and the priests shall blow the trumpets.
And when they make a long blast with the ram’s horn, when you hear the sound of the trumpet, then all the people shall shout with a great shout, and the wall of the city will fall down flat.” ~Joshua 6:2, 4, 5a


Right now, I am listening to “When the Battle is Over” by Walter Hawkins. I am really rejoicing as the song says, “Don’t wait ‘til the battle is over, shout now!”
Last night, I was “speechless” as I accepted the fact that I had not exhibited total trust and faith in God as I am going through this transitional period in my life. Tonight I am rejoicing and full of great anticipation as I have been encouraged and know that I don’t have to wait until I see the blessing, I know that they simply have to be manifested. God is true to His Word, and unlike us, we can take that to the bank!

My lack of faith was disobedience. My lack of faith resulted in worry. When we worry, we are not obedient. How can one worry and have faith? It does not mix. It does not add up. It does not make sense. When we worry, we are in essence saying to God that we don’t believe that He’s able. We diminish His authority in our lives.

Obedience is important. God commanded Joshua as he led the Children of Israel through another battle. God told Joshua EXACTLY what they were to do in order to receive the blessing of conquering Jericho. First, God confirmed that He’d already worked it out. He told Him that He’d given them Jericho. This was before it was actually accomplished. But for, and with, God, everything is current. You see, He is……..not was……or might be. He is!

Next, God told Joshua EXACTLY what to do and how to do it. Joshua was not to change the command. He was not to act on his own. He was not to do what he thought he should do.

Then God told him to do something that seems a bit strange. He told the people to SHOUT with a GREAT SHOUT as they marched around the walls of the city. He didn’t say to simply march around the walls and they will fall (the falling of the walls meant that the battle was won – they would be able to inhabit Jericho). They had to do something first. The shouting was an expression of praise. See, they were to praise BEFORE the battle was over. They were not to wait until the battle was over, they were to SHOUT in advance!

As for me, I am shouting now. I am praising Him now. I am thanking Him now. I am marching around the walls and I know that they will come tumbling down because my God has already given me the city! See, God never told me that I wouldn’t have trying times. He never said that I wouldn’t have challenges. But, He did tell me that I was to use my gifts and talents for Him. He did tell me that He would provide and that He would open doors. He did direct my path. I am reminded of Jesus’ words to the disciples one day. He told them, “Let us go to the other side” (Mark 4:35). Other than the fact that they were going to go to the other side of the sea in a boat, He did not tell them HOW they were going to get there. Because He said, “let us go”, He meant that they would get there. They did not know that a horrible storm would arise. Now think about it. This must have been a huge storm because the disciples became terrified and obviously feared for their lives. Some of these disciples were fisher men by profession, so to be on a boat in stormy weather must not have been new to them. But, this particular storm had them all afraid. Well, Jesus certainly wasn’t worried. He was comfortable……..asleep! The disciples woke Him in a panic. Jesus got up and calmed the storm, but He questioned their faith. “And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?” (Mark 4:40)

Do you see yourself on that boat? Are you afraid? Jesus is on board. He may be quiet right now, but He’s already said that we’re going over to the other side. Why do we doubt Him?

Join me………let’s shout now! Please don’t wait ‘til the battle is over…….the battle is already won….and He has given you the city! SHOUT!

Blessings!

Carla

No comments: