Friday, January 11, 2008

Enchanted

I am really excited about the progress being made in our practices for the Dr. Martin Luther King commemoration program. I so enjoy working with the children. I have all age groups – from as young as 3 on up to 17. What I love the most is seeing their faces when they do something well and they are proud of themselves. I also enjoy encouraging those who are somewhat lacking. I let them know that I believe in them and I know that they can do it. And you know what? They do it! I love cheering them on for every single little step of improvement!

Because I was asked so late to coordinate the program, it is scheduled for January 27th, which is the Sunday after MLK day. Otherwise, we only had 3 weeks to put a program together. Now, we have a whopping 4 weeks! LOL! This is sad, but it’s working out.

I am having a dinner party for Jerry’s upcoming birthday. He will be 50, so I wanted to do something really nice for him. Nice, but quaint, and not too outlandish. I’m only inviting his family, a few of Jerry’s minister friends, and a few people from his job. I’m debating whether or not to include a big pot of gumbo on the menu. Jerry LOVES my gumbo, and he does want it. But, if I do it for the dinner, then I will have to cook a pretty large batch of it. I’ll see.

Today, I’m somewhat exhausted and sore. It was a full and busy day for me, and I haven’t had one of those in a month now. I had to go back to the doctor’s office this morning to have the test to see if I have nerve damage. When I was there on Tuesday, Dr. Shekoni informed me that the MRI revealed that I have arthritis in my neck. IN MY NECK!!??? Get out of town, I was just too shocked. Yet, I wasn’t surprised because it now explains why I am always in so much pain. Yes, I suffer almost daily with pain in my neck, shoulders, back, lower back. Dr. Shekoni said that the arthritis is leaning against my spinal cord. It all makes sense now. I understand the pain. I’ve simply learned to live with and deal with this pain.

Now, we have to see why I’m still having all of this numbness, tingling, and weakness in my hands, legs, and feet. The nerve test was interesting. It reminded me of an EKG on a smaller scale. They put probes on one of my hands, and sent electrical shock waves through me. It did not hurt, but it felt funny. Buzz! Buzz! Ooooh…….interesting is all I can say.

Now I still have to wait for the results. The technician said that they will be able to tell me late next week. So, once more, I wait…..

Afterwards, I brought Tiffanie to the Mall. She returns to college tomorrow and she wanted to do some shopping before she went. Actually, I gave her money for her birthday gift (Tiff is my new year’s baby – yep, born January 1st), and she wanted to get some clothes. I did some walking, but I ended up taking a seat and let her do her thing while I waited. After the Mall, we went to Wal-Mart to get some other stuff that she needs to take back to campus. Wal-Mart always means a lot of walking! The walking was good for me, but it also took its toll. My right leg is still weak, I also got tired, and my blood sugar dropped too low. So, I was feeling sick, but felt better when we got something to eat (I’d missed lunch, and when I miss meals, my sugar does drop too low).

Anyway, it was a good day, and a beautiful day. But, I do feel quite sore in the hand where they took the nerve test. My other hand is sore as well as my arm. It is somewhat painful for me as I am typing these words. I wanted to do a lot more typing, as I am writing some other projects, etc. But, I will have to call it an early night because of the soreness.

Oh well…….good night. I am looking forward to practicing with the children tomorrow for the MLK program.

No comments: