Thursday, May 01, 2008

BLOOM


"A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men." Proverbs 18:16


God has blessed us with a beautiful rural home that sits on 8 acres of land. We are in the “country”, and it is quite different from what I was used to in the big city. It’s been quite an adjustment, but I am thankful to be here and I love what God has blessed us with. I am surrounded by “nature” and I must admit that I like it. I have always enjoyed the sights and sounds of God’s handiwork. The only difference now is that it’s up close and personal for me.

Last Spring, a bird decided to make her nest right under my daughter’s bedroom window. We watched the nurturing of the mother bird. Her babies were often loud when she was away searching for meals. They were also ugly little things, but they eventually grew big and strong enough to leave the nest.

This year, there is yet another new bird’s nest nearby the house. I am consistently amazed and in watching these birds, I am reminded that God’s eye is on the sparrow and His Word promises me that just as He cares for him, He also will care and provide for me.

On our property, I’ve seen a family of rabbits hopping along on several occasions. During the Fall and Winter, it is not uncommon for deer to roam our land. Big bucks, does, and what I call “Bambi” fawns. At night, there is always a chorus of crickets singing loudly. There are cattle that landscape much of this small town; and horses are as common as the family dog.

Nature is all around me.

What I love most around here is this time of year. Spring. As I said, God blessed us with quite a bit of land. Right now, it is fragrant with the luscious aroma of wild flowers. The flowers are simply beautiful. This morning, as usual, I walked my daughter from our house to the school bus stop. See, our house sits way back on the land, which is a nice little walk to the street to await the school bus (well, I would say that it’s about the distance of ¾ of a city block). The bus passes very early and we’re surrounded by so many trees that I don’t let her walk to the bus alone. I enjoy our mornings walk and it usually gives us time to have good talks before she leaves for school. I also observe quite a bit during our walks. Each morning when I step out of the house, I am embraced with the sweet fragrance of the honeysuckles. This morning, I took special notice as we walked, and as we stood there awaiting the bus. Then, when I walked back to the house, I just took in of the lovely sight and smell of all of the flowers that are in bloom in my yard.

Later today, I ran errands. As I got into my van, again, the fragrance wrapped itself around me. I had to take a moment to pause and simply adore it. I simply love flowers, and I can’t help but stop and admire them. But today, I had an interesting take on them. As I was admiring them from my vehicle, I heard and saw another sight and sound of Spring. Bees! Just as we have a lot of flowers, we also have bees.

As the bees buzzed around the flowers, it was as though God spoke to me. First, He reminded me that as I adored the honeysuckles earlier this morning, I’d begun sneezing. Then, He pointed out the bees again. I questioned within, what does all of this mean?

The answer came to me: In appreciating the fullness and beauty in our own lives, we sometimes have to tolerate and deal with the nuisances (i.e., the pollen that triggered my sneezing, or the presence of bees buzzing around the flowers).
It didn’t really make sense to me, but the thought would not leave me today. This evening, it became clear. Through my pondering the message, God brought one word to me – BLOOM! He let me know that I am at a point in my life where I am in BLOOM! I am walking in my purpose, as He’s directed me to do, and right now I am experiencing a blossoming period of life.

Several definitions of “bloom”:
• (v) To flourish or thrive
• (n) The flower of a plant
I then looked up “flower”
• (n) Best
• (n) The superlative or most preferable part of something
Synonyms: choice, cream, elite, pick, prize, top

For me, I have to connect things to get a decent understanding. The bees and the pollen was pointed out to me to remind me that they only show up when the plants are in full bloom. At its best. At its most beautiful. Fulfilling its purpose. Realizing its fullest potential.

Okay, here goes one of my favorite sayings – such is life! See, I know that I’m walking in my purpose, but I have not understood the nuisances that I have had to deal with. I haven’t understood the challenges. I haven’t understood the difficult moments. I haven’t understood it all, yet I’ve continued to follow my calling, regardless. I haven’t always understood the course, but I walked by faith.

Now, I haven’t done everything right. There have been times when I acted on my own and did not be still to hear God’s voice. But, through it all, I’ve done my best. Now, God is presenting to me opportunities to honor Him.

I have grown. I am still growing. At this point, He is allowing me to bloom. And most of all, He has encouraged me to stay strong and not to give up just because of the pollen and the bees that may swarm around me. They’re only there because I am in bloom!

Carla

1 comment:

Carla Y. Nix said...

Bless you Jen.

I do appreciate you stopping by to say hello! I have to make it back over to your place as well. I truly understand the busy-ness that we're under!

Blessings!

Carla