Monday, May 26, 2008

MARKING TIME

MARKING TIME
By Carla Y. Nix

“Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15-16 (NIV)

Time after time we do not value one of our greatest resources – time! We take time for granted. We do not take advantage of the time that we have. We lose track of time. And way too often, we simply mark time.

When I think of marking time, I think of the wonderful school marching bands that performed in the parades that often occurred in the city of New Orleans when I lived there. I love music and I love the whole process of how it’s brought together. So, I enjoyed watching the bands perform. My son and one of my daughters were also musicians in their school bands. I was always there to support them whether it was a parade, or a concert, or even in competitions for displaying superiority in music. I also sat through many long hours of rehearsals and practices.

However, during the performance of marching bands in a parade, very often an example of marking time is obvious. Any musician will tell you that keeping time, or the measurement of time, is vital in the music. Timing is everything and the success of the performance of the music depends on it. One of the very first things a musician must note when reading music and preparing to play is the “time”. This determines the tempo of the music. Everyone, regardless of the notes they’re playing, must adhere to the tempo (or timing) of the music. Each section may play a different arrangement or notes in order to provide the melody and harmony of the song; yet, everyone keeps the same tempo. For marching bands, there are times that as a unit, they have to stop marching even while they’re playing. They may have to stop because the flow of the parade has stopped, or perhaps they decided to perform at a certain spot in the parade. Very few really good bands just stand still and play. They continue to keep the tempo by marking time and of course the drumline holds it all together. The players are still lifting their feet to the tempo while they play. They are marking time; yet they are not going anywhere. They are in a spot, not moving, but still keeping the tempo.

This is what we often do in our own lives. We mark time! This may be an exciting thing to watch in a marching band, but not necessarily for our lives. When we mark time, we may not be standing still, but we are not going anywhere.

Time is important for us because in another word, it is “opportunity”. The New International Version (NIV) of Ephesians 5:15-16 tells us to make the most of every “opportunity”. Other Biblical versions use the word “time”.

As we know, time waits for no one. It moves on whether or not we take advantage of it. It passes when we live foolishly and not make wise choices. Time goes on and on, but one thing about it, time never returns. I hear people often say that they are making up for lost time. Guess what? You can’t! You will never catch up on it, bring it back, make it up, or re-live it. What you can do is to make the most of the present moment and do your very best with the time – or opportunity – that you have in your hands today.

I don’t believe that time can be wasted, but I do know that we can miss out on what is available to us right now. And, actually, that’s all we have anyway. What has past is no more. We can only hope for what might be ahead. Tomorrow is promised to no one. We have this present moment. We have this time right now. We should not allow our opportunities to continue to pass us by.

I regret not making better choices in the past. I am sorry for not having enough faith in God, nor myself, to do the things that I wanted to do. So many opportunities passed me by simply because I allowed fear to grip me, as well as the expectations of others to govern me. I always took the safe and acceptable route on my journey. I refused to open my eyes and my ears to what God was showing and telling me about my own self. I never believed that I was worthy or deserved to experience the happiness of doing what fulfilled me.

I’ve marked time way too long. Busy, busy, busy………but not going anywhere! No progress! The other day I had a little “discussion” in my head and wondered if I should go back to the safe and acceptable way in my life. The thought was only a fleeting one and just as quickly as it came in, the assurance of my decision to step out and walk in my purpose was emphasized. And then the idea of marking time flooded me. I realized that in a few years I will be 50 years old, and what a tragedy and pity it would be “if” I live to be that age and I NEVER do what I know God has purposed me to do. My entire life will have been one of simply standing there in the middle of a parade, marking time. Entertaining others, but not living a fulfilled life. How awful would it be to never know what might have been because I was too afraid to try?

I am so happy now that I have answered God’s call in my life. The feeling is awesome and for once, I know who I am. I am doing what He’s given me to do, and most of all, I am enjoying it. This doesn’t mean that challenges and mountains escape me, because they haven’t. But, He continues to bring me through each challenge and over every mountain. I thank God for all of His blessings.

I am most thankful that the beautiful music of my life is playing, and I’m able to enjoy it. But, I am no longer standing there, marking time, going nowhere!

Thank You Lord!

No comments: