Friday, May 30, 2008

CLAIM YOUR INHERITANCE

To hear this as a voice blog, click play.


Comment | Copy This



By Carla Y. Nix

“So Moses brought their case before the LORD and the LORD said to him, "What Zelophehad's daughters are saying is right. You must certainly give them property as an inheritance among their father's relatives and turn their father's inheritance over to them." ~Numbers 27:5-7 (NIV)

One definition of “inheritance” is “birthright”. Meaning, simply, a right that one has because they were born into something of value. As parents, we want to leave an inheritance for our children. We want them to be blessed with something that is special and of value. We work hard so that we may have something to leave with them once we pass. Also, we desire that our personal and sentimental possessions are left with them.

I cherish my mother’s high school class ring that I inherited. The ring is now an antique, but it wasn’t a particularly “valuable” piece of jewelry in a monetary sense. However, it holds deep sentimental value for me.

My father died before my mother did. She died about 2 years later. My brothers and I were the heirs to our family home and other items. This was our birthright. Unlike in many families, there was no in-fighting, bickering, conniving, or battles over anything. We handled everything just as our parents raised us – in a peaceful and respectable manner. We all had equal claim, as our parents desired. And there were some particular items that we individually received by bequest from the Will.
I cannot imagine being overlooked, or having my birthright stolen from me. Jacob stole from Esau the birthright and blessing due to the oldest son. He lied and deceived his father Isaac into giving him what was due to Esau (Genesis 27).

Being female, I also cannot imagine not receiving my inheritance simply because of my gender. That was the case of Zelophehad's daughters (Numbers 27:1-11). Zelophehad had four daughters, and no sons. Zelophehad died in the wilderness as the Israelites wandered for 40 years after their exodus from Egypt. When Moses began to designate and distribute the inheritance of the Promised Land to the Israelites, these women stood to lose their portion simply because of their gender. The rule was that the inheritance would be given to the sons of the family clans (or tribes).

Zelophehad’s daughters boldly went to Moses, the priest, and the all of the leaders and expressed their dismay that their inheritance would be lost because their father had no sons. It was not fair.

They stood up for what they knew was rightfully theirs. It was their birthright because God promised Abraham that He would bless his seed. God promised the Children of Israel that they would be given the land. This was more than a “will”, such as my parents had. It was a bonafide promise from God, and God is faithful. He does not, nor cannot lie!

Moses presented the daughters’ concern to God, and God agreed that they should not lose the inheritance. They had a right to the promise. God instructed Moses to give them their portion of the land.

God is a God of promise. God’s Word tells of all of His promises. Here is one of my favorites:

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

This comforts me whenever I am going through seemingly overwhelming circumstances. I can always go back to God in prayer and express my faith in His promise. He promised to be with me, so I can say that, not to remind Him (because He doesn’t need reminding), but to encourage myself and to strengthen my heart.

His Word is a book of His promises. Read it! And you can boldly approach God’s throne with the assurance of His promises. This is your inheritance. It’s your birthright. When you accepted Christ as your Savior, you experienced a New Birth. You now have a birthright to everything that God promised. You don’t have to lie, cheat, deceive, or steal, as Jacob did, to be blessed. You simply have to trust and have faith in God.

My inheritance from my parents didn’t come until they died. However, in Christ, I can receive what He’s promised right now, and in the future. The most glorious inheritance of all is eternal life with Him. But, until that time, I can enjoy the peace, love, and joy that He’s promised me.

Stand up today and claim your inheritance. It’s yours!

Suggested reading/reference for an exhaustive list of God’s promises, visit Dr. Charles Stanley’s website (In Touch Ministries) by clicking here.

It is excellent reading.

No comments: