Thursday, May 15, 2008

No matter how bad you may think you have it...

....there is ALWAYS someone else worse off than you!

I am sure you've heard that term all of your life. I know I have. And it always prove to be true.

I'm not particularly in a "woe is me" frame of mind, but I have been quite internal and inward with my thoughts as I am in preparation for a conference I'm speaking at on this coming Saturday. I'm excited about it. I am looking forward to the blessing of being able to impact the lives of others.

Yet, the mental preparation causes me to block everything else out around me and to totally focus on the job at hand. Which isn't a bad thing. But, when I look around and keep seeing all of the devastation going on all over this world, it aches my heart.

There is always someone or something to pray about. The plights of people are so deep and real and for any of us not to take notice is a shame. I've had to break out of myself today and pray......really pray......for our world......pray for our community.....pray for people.

It is not about me. I had to let my heart grieve and feel compassion towards all that is going on around me. In doing so, of course I felt a sense of gratitude that I am not experiencing what so many others are. At times, I may think that it's rough, but again, no matter how bad I may think it is, there are others who are much worse off. Someone else wish that they could be in my shoes (not that it's a particularly pretty picture - but I have to admit how blessed I am).

We all have to move out of ourselves and see what's going on around us. It may seem rough. It may difficult. It may not be what you're used to. You may be trying to do better for yourself. You may be tired of struggling. You may feel that God is not hearing your prayers. You may feel lonely. You may think that nobody likes you. You may need more money. You may be tired of "robbing Peter to pay Paul". There may be a huge list of things that you are tired of. But, look around you. It could definitely be worse.

My heart definitely goes out to the folks of Myanama who are trying to survive the cyclone. Hundreds of thousand lives have already been lost. And the people of China who are dealing with the earthquake. Another 15 thousand lives have been lost. The devastation is mind boggling. It brings tears to my eyes each time I see the reports.

Just look around you. And you don't even have to look very far. What's going on in your city? How many people are victims of crime, drugs, etc.? How many people are not able to feed their children? How many homeless people are forced to roam the streets? How many people are sick and suffering?

Someone is much worse off than you. Don't forget that the next time you begin to feel sorry for yourself.

Carla

No comments: