Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Lesson Learned

Today, I reflect on people. Ahh......people. Folks. You. Me. Them. Everyone else.

What do we all want? Need? We need to feel appreciated and to feel good about ourselves. We need a kind word from others. A pat on the back. An "at-a-boy/girl"

Why do we crave this attention? I guess it is because too often we are depraved and deprived of it. It's like being on a diet. Once you choose to do without something, once you deprave yourself, that is when you seem to desire it the most. Simply because you are without it.

Today, I went to lunch at the local Piccadilly. As I stood in line to pay my bill, I observed the young man who was the cashier. I noted that he works there in several capacities. Each time I see him, he is extremely polite, ultra professional, and he has a pleasant disposition.

These thoughts ran through my mind as I moved closer to my turn to pay my bill. I decided that I would express my thoughts with him when I approached him. And that I did. It seem to have made his day. He appreciated my words.

I thought about it as I walked to my car. In just one moment, I brought a smile to someone's face and made them know that they are appreciated. It also brought a smile to my heart to do so and to see his reaction.

I felt that it was a nice thing to say something good to someone.......for no reason. Just because. Afterall, I reflected, I have given my share of complaints to establishments such as Piccadilly. I, as I'm sure that many of you do, am quick to voice my opinion on unsatisfactory service. Why not say something complimentary when the service is good?

So I did. So can you. Think about it.

No comments: